For any small business, starting an eCommerce store can be an exciting venture. No matter what your business is, you should always consider how you could increase your profits. With the online market place becoming more competitive, you need to find a way to engage your site’s visitors and turn them into paying customers. Focusing on optimizing your site to increase its rate of conversion can help you pull out in front of the competition and increase your eCommerce store’s profits.
Knowing how to sell a product online is not a difficult task. There are a number of choices when it comes to building an eCommerce store where you can market your products. The secret to getting more of your products into your customers’ hands lies in how you present your products.
To start with you want to make sure that every product that you are selling is placed on its. own unique page. With each product placed on its own page and the right product information and placement on the page, you can start selling more of your profits and start seeing an increase in your profits.
Just like in a brick and mortar store, the way that you present your products is very important. With an eCommerce store, visitors are unable to physically touch the products, so you want to make sure that you give them all the information they need so they can feel good about making the decision to purchase products from you. When developing your product pages, there are some essential items that you will want to make sure are included on the page if you want to increase your sales.
- Product images – the product images that you include on your site need to be of high quality. They could well be the most important design aspect of any eCommerce website explains Peter Crawford, writer for Smashing Magazine. Consumers rely on product images in order to feel more confident about purchasing from you, so make sure you get it right.
- Product description – Second only to the images, the product descriptions play a key role in getting people to switch from simply browsing to buying. Your product descriptions can instantly create an impression on site visitors increasing your conversion rates. When creating your product descriptions, be sure to make them unique rather than simply copying them from another online source. You should also consider including any technical specifications within the descriptions to give the full picture of the product that you are selling.
- User reviews and ratings – When you place user reviews and ratings on your product pages, you can effectively convert visitors to your site into paying customers. Nearly 63 percent of consumers have stated that they are more likely to purchase a product from a site if it has product ratings and reviews. Allowing visitors to see that other customers have been satisfied with their purchases makes them more comfortable that they are buying the right product.
- Customers also bought – by offering intelligent suggestions based on products customers have selected or looked at will likely result in a more positive response and increase your sales. Place suggested items under the appropriate headings and make sure that the items being suggested are logical. Done properly, upselling on your eCommerce site can be very successful.
- Related Products – When you’ve finished adding all of the pertinent information about the product onto its own page, add a few thumbnail images of related products to the bottom of the page. If your visitors reach the bottom of the product page and haven’t been converted into a paying customer, this is your chance to interest them in another product. Make sure that the items you include are closely related to the product that is featured on the page, just like with the “Customers Also Bought” feature, you want to make sure that your choices are logical.
- Product Summary – The product summary is a stripped down version that touches on the highlights of the product. It should include a small image and a buy now button to entice visitors to put the item in their cart. The product summary is your last chance to convert them to a paying customer.
Whether you are selling a number of products or a service, you need your eCommerce site to be able to convert the casual browsers into paying customers. Even if you are selling the most amazing product of the decade, or offer the best service in town, you need to not just attract visitors, your site must convert them into customers who will purchase the product from you. You need to provide them with the right information that will allow them to feel comfortable purchasing from your site. With the proper product page layout, you can provide your customers with all of the information they need to make an informed decision about purchasing products from your eCommerce site.